If you find yourself involved in a car accident, there are several steps you should follow while you are still at the scene of the accident. Following these critical steps will help protect your personal injury case.
Jonathan Negretti, personal injury attorney and founder of Negretti & Associates, shares these “must-do” steps to follow at the scene of a motor vehicle accident.
- Call the police.
- Wait for the police to arrive before you move your vehicle.
- If you feel any symptoms from the collision, request an ambulance. If the paramedics recommend going to the hospital for addition assessment, go.
- Stay neutral. Do not accuse anyone, do not accept responsibility, and do not dismiss the other party’s responsibility.
- Cooperate with the police.
- If you are physically able, take notes of people’s names, phone numbers, addresses, license plate numbers and insurance information. This also includes attaining the contact information for any witnesses.
- Take photos – lots of photos. Take photos from multiple angles. Include images of all the vehicles, the entire scene, tire tread marks, etc.
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, contact the personal injury attorneys at Negretti & Associates for a free, immediate evaluation of your case. Even if you haven’t followed all of the steps listed above, Negretti & Associates will still fight to protect your rights.